We headed to the hospital today for yet another long day of appointments but trust me, I'm not complaining. As much as being at the hospital makes me feel anxious (oddly enough, I mean it is the best place to be) I like being there because it means people are watching Bee, making sure Bee is okay and looking for any and all signs that something is starting to go wrong. If I had my choice, I'd be there everyday having Bee checked. Soon enough I will be there everyday, in fact it will be our home away from home as of December 28th....we shall see!
We headed to the hospital for 9am, when my husband told me our ultrasound was for. I checked in and they couldn't find me and I reassured them I did have an ultrasound today and had it written down...they eventually found it at 10:30...but they said just to wait and they'd see if they could squeeze me in since I was just having a BPP done. Thankfully they were able to get me in at 9:45. Bee did well as usual, 8/8 and within 10 minutes. Went and saw the doctor next, which took about 20 minutes due to numerous questions and our doctor is very smart and reassuring so he takes his time explaining things to us. We talked about a birth plan since Bee is head down and we are aiming for a VBAC. I know at first I said I didn't want one but now the more I think about it, I do think I prefer it so you know what's going to happen right? We'll set a date, get everything set and the day before Bee will turn sideways and throw everything out the window. Our doctor was crossing his fingers that since the last two times Bee has been head down that Bee will probably stay that way but I was quick to remind him that Jacob was head down from about 25 weeks until a week before we delivered him so there is still a chance Bee could turn. I have requested and given Bee a pep talk about staying in the current position, mainly because turning could involve a cord accident so head down it is. We talked a lot about options and though he said there wasn't anything natural I could do before hand, I'm sure as heck going to try too! All I have to do is get myself to 2cm so they can break my water, I can definitely work on that the next few weeks.
Bee is looking well, cord dopplers came back great, BPP was great, fluid levels great, active little Bee. Contractions weren't of any concern yet since they are not constant or coming on stronger. They are still just occasional and not consistent so we are good for now. I'm hoping they help soften my cervix a bit so everything will be great (if Bee stays head down) He took his time explaining everything we asked (mainly in regards to inducing and delivery) and we got the answers we were looking for.
After our visit we headed to the dreaded pre-admit but I'll say, I'm glad we went because additional notes were added to our file about specifications that aren't normally requested and due to a wide movement in the US we have put in a special request to have a Pulse Ox test done on Bee while we are in the hospital to check for heart defects. I thought we would be in and out and answer all the stupid questions but this time, they smartened up. The nurse had our file, she knew what happened so she was asking us different questions in relation to how we wanted things done so I was very pleased with the visit. We decided we aren't really going to do a formal birth plan due to our situation being so unique and really, Stephen and I are taking the as things go along approach to see where we end up. We do know we do not want people at the hospital, no one expect our parents and because of this and to not risk any unwanted visitors we have decided not to announce the official date when we go in. All we are asking is that everyone respect our time and space and when we are ready for Bee to meet the world, Bee will be introduced but we have been through hell and back twice and we want some us time and some time to adjust. Not only that but there is much concern on how my emotions will be so we need to take time for me to heal and recover and deal with everything that will come.
As far as the delivery goes, our plan is try to un-medicated for as long as possible but there are some limitations there, if I have to get oxytocin and the contractions are outrageous I'll need an epi and also some doctors who are preforming vbacs prefer a women to have an epi incase they need to do an emergency c-section they can just increase the epi amount. So we have a lot to take into consideration. The good thing is that they have wireless fetal monitoring which is great because I am being constantly monitored but if no epi I can still get up, walk around, sit on the ball etc, I was pleased to hear that. The more I can assist with natural labor the better it will be.
So today was a productive day, it gave us lots to think about and talk about and plan for. We have an appointment next week where we will talk more about me going into antenatal and then the appointment after that some dates may be set or at least talked about and further plans regarding delivery will be made at that time.
And because Bee was cooperative today, here is a nice shot of our little one (I can't get over how much Bee resembles Jacob at this stage in pregnancy)