Here it is, the official list!!! A lot of people see our house and ask, "why do you want to move, your house is so cute". Yes I know my house is cute (I'll take the credit for that) but what most don't see are the every day problems we face. Don't get me wrong I am very thankful we have a roof over our head and one that we can afford but here are some of the issues:
1. Mold (and a large amount of it I cannot get to)
2. Mice (eww...enough said...and we know they breed like rabbits) and they are EVERYWHERE! (this wouldn't be such an issue if I could get the kill mouse traps but Stephen refuses to let me kill mice. We have humane traps so he can set them free)
3. The stairs....given Stephen and I have both slipped on the stairs in the last week, they are simply not safe, in fact they are very dangerous.
4. The lack of laundry facilities and I realize this one may be a little selfish but I am allowed to have one luxury in life and that's the one I want. There is nothing worse then waking up on a miserable Saturday morning when all you want to do is lay in bed but you have to get up and go sit at the laundry mat for 2 hours. (the next house we get WILL have laundry, I refuse to not have it)
5. There is only one place in our house for the litter boxes...in the bathroom (which in itself isn't bad) but when they are right next to the heater and when the heat is on it warms up the litter box and I'll leave the rest for you to imagine what that smells like....even when we clean it daily.
6. Speaking of the heat....the heat. It only works when it wants to (and it seems on the coldest days of the year it wants to take a vacation) The other issue with this is we don't control the heat so if the guy downstairs is warm....we suffer. He is pretty good about turning it up though. Still...a consistent warm heat would be nice.
7. The lack of space. When Milo and I moved in it was just the 2 of us and it was the perfect size, since we moved in our family has grown from 2 - 6. Charlie came along then Stephen (and a lot of his stuff) then Ty and Jacob (and all their things as well) There is no room left!
8. The windows. They are full of mold but painted shut so I cannot get to them. They have cracks in them which let in the very very cold air and on a day the heat isn't working and it's already cold....brrrr. I have been known to wear a hat, mittens and snow pants in my house before.
9. The oldness of the house. We live in a very old house and with that comes very old carpets and a heating system and I know the vents aren't cleaned often. DUST....bad air quality which in a house where 3 out of the 4 occupants have asthma and allergies is not a good thing. Poor Milo has had horrible asthma this year and the air purifier isn't working. Well it works but the air quality is so bad we can't keep up.
10. The tub/toilet. I'm pretty sure these both leak (I am afraid to take baths because I do not want to end up in the downstairs apartment) but I'm sure they leak because the flooring behind them has corroded and is covered in mold.
11. We can't invite friends or family over for dinner. We have no room! I would LOVE to be able to cook and entertain family and friends but we can't. Our kitchen table right now is my sewing table.
12. The lack of electrical outlets. We often have to unplug things to plug other things in...it's probably better so we don't over do the 100 year old electricity.
13. The deck (in relation to the stairs) is unsafe. If you have ever walked up to our deck when you actually hit the top deck you will realize some of the board sink when you stand on them, making them unsafe.
14. Mail. Because we live at 1421 and 1/2 the mail man (if it's not the regular one) always gets confused and puts our mail in the basement apartments box. This leads to us not getting mail for days, not only that we often seem to not get mail at all when people have told us they sent us stuff.....Canada Post....
15. Our address. It is a turkey baster (trying not to use swear words and thats the first word that came to mind....) to have to tell people our address. It takes forever to tell people and forever to write it. (the next house WILL have a shorter address, it's a requirement)
16. There is no guest room. My parents (especially my mom) come here up often. My moms comes up about once a month and I really wish we would have a nice little area for her to have, her own little room. Right now we stick her in the hallway by the front door.
17. The front door. Well it is not properly insulated (though most of the house isn't) and is covered in wet mold. It also lets a lot of cold air in.
18. The bathroom ceiling. We have no fan so when we take hot showers the steam has no where to go so the mold on the ceiling piles up. We do have a window in the bathroom but there is no way I am opening it in the dead of winter.
19. The floors are so squeaky and some seem to be buckling.
20. The driveway. It is rocks and grass so it is very hard to shovel in the winter on top of the fact, I am just waiting for the day we get rear ended going into our driveway because our driveway is very close to a stop sign and when we put our blinker one I know most people think we are turning at the stop sign not before it....just waiting for the day until we get SMACKED!
21. Have I mentioned the mice? Not only are they gross and carry disease but they have gotten into a lot of our food and fabrics that I don't have in plastic boxes. And....ewww...we can hear them running through the walls and chewing on them (I fear this poses a fire hazard if they chew through wires)
22. The stairs...you say I have mentioned these...yes but again let me reiterate....please do not come to our house. I do not want a law suit when one of the stairs you step on breaks and you go falling or, since they are slippery even on the driest of days....we have to salt them year round. The wood is old and very moldy so when any kind of moisture gets on them they become like an ice rink. I was terrified while pregnant that I was going to slip and fall.
23. We can pretty much hear everything downstairs....as I write this there is loud classical music on but phone calls and people to when they are over...makes me wonder how much he can hear us say.
24. The lack of space. More defined. Stephen needs room for a work desk and I need room for a craft table (I'd like to be able to eat around the family table but it's not possible at the moment)
25. We need some new furniture but don't have anywhere to put it. (I think my mom said my bed was at least 20 years old....at least the mattress memory foam topper is fairly new)
26. The lack of space. We have so many things of the boys we want to display but no where to display them. There all in a box right now.
27. Being in such a small confined apartment is making us go stir crazy. We need some space to get away from each other!
28. We can't use energy efficient lights, we can only use the kind they don't sell anymore. Our 100 year old electricity does not support the new way of light (ha ha like life but light)
29. You have to make sure you slowly and forcefully turn the light switches on or the lights will flicker.
30. Milo and Charlie want a new little fur brother and we don't have enough room here to give them their wish. I can't say no to them...
31. When I am home by myself and the bus stops it scares me...all of the sudden out of the quiet I hear "Dundas to Argyle Mall Downtown To Gore"
32. People whip down our street and constantly run the stop sign. Not a safe area to raise kids (though we would have made due with Ty and Jacob)
33. Now that we have the option, we want to raise and expand our family and it will NOT be in this house. It is bad enough with the 4 of us and two floaty spirits.
34. It smells and no matter what I do to try and fix it, I cannot beat 100 year old farm house smell.
35. No offense to smokers, but the guy downstairs smokes and it comes up into our apartment. A) the smell of cigarettes literally makes me gag and almost puke and B) 3 of the 4 of us have allergies and asthma, not helping
36. Pinterest has given me 100 more reasons to move. I want to re-do stuff and become a DIYer but I have no space. I need to fulfill my creative urges and learn new things like how to saw stuff and make new things out of old furniture. This will only mean good things for Goodwill, Value Village, Kijiji and Talize....and we all know those are good organizations to help support and I sure would be doing my share.
37. Some nights we HAVE to eat out because the kitchen is full of dirty dishes and crap items. I don't like to eat out (for example tonight we are getting pizza because our kitchen is too full to cook and it'll take all our energy to clean. If we only had more counter space.
38. Mice. Their turds are ALL OVER the place, it's gross and they carry so many diseases. You may wonder why I keep mentioning them....it's a pretty big reason to have to move. They have destroyed all the re-useable Christmas bags I sewed last year, eaten most of our pasta, chewed through Stephens skate's, I can only imagine what else they have peed all over....
39. I can't exercise (do aerobics, kick-boxing or any high pace work out) for fear of falling through the creaky old wood boards. Not only that the whole house shakes (and not it's not cause I have a bit of extra weight, it's cause it is falling apart)
40. Sewing shakes the whole house as well...it rattles things off the wall.
41. Our stove is from the 60's. It's door does not shut properly so when we use the oven it is hard to accurately cook or bake things because it lets so much heat out. It also gets extremely hot to the touch which is unsafe.
42. Our windows have openings in them that we can't close....yes we get many many house guests coming for a visit, spiders, ants, lady bugs, large moths.....
43. After watching Food Inc. I have even more of an urge to plant my own vegetable garden. Not only is it better for us, it's better for the environment too, we lack the space to do this. Even if we planted a garden, a small one, in the backyard there is no water hookup and we can't use rain barrels...poses additional problems that would be solved with a new place.
44. I attribute my headaches to the poor air quality.
45. No matter how many times I vacuum there is always more dust minutes later.
46. When one person in the house is sick...everyone gets sick. We don't have room to quarantine the ill person.
47. If we want to do the dishes we don't have counter space to cook, even a days worth adds up. Not to mention our sink leaks and everything underneath is wet and the counter is even getting moldy underneath.
48. When the heat wants to work...actually getting heat into our house poses a challenge thanks to the incredibly small vents we have and on top of that, they are painted mostly closed but because they are so old they do not make them in that size anymore so we can't even replace them.
49. We have soooooo many picture frames with pictures but no walls to hang them on.
50. Lead paint...it has obviously gotten to my brain seeing as I thought of 49 other things before it.
51. The walls that face the outside are freezing cold to the touch! Makes it even colder.
52. Laundry. A few weeks back at the laundry mat half of our clothes were ruined because whoever washed their clothes before us had lots of grease....so now half of our clothes have grease marks all over them and I have tried everything to get them out (though yesterday I found a new idea on pinterest I want to try)
53. I was asked to do some scrapbooks for our youth and their events at church and I want too....but I don't have any room to do them right now. Our dinning room table (which hasn't been that in like 2 years) is also my craft table but at the moment it is being used as my sewing station and I can't move it elsewhere because there is no where else. Even if I stick a table somewhere there are no outlets to plug the machine into.
54. We have no outlets in the bathroom...so where do I do my hair you may ask? The bedroom. Now keep in mind there are some mornings I have to be up and ready and out before Stephen rolls out of bed....leaving me with very wet hair, even in winter.
55. There are rare occasions when my body tells me I really need to take a nap and I try but cannot succeed because the guy downstairs has his classical music playing and I can hear it from everywhere in the house.
56. The stairs, I slipped again, caught myself but think I pulled something somewhere. No amount of salt can keep the deck or stairs from being slippery. This poses a very big danger seeing as we live on the second floor, a fall down those stairs could kill us or at least badly injure us.
57. You know those blistery cold and snowy days where you can just sit inside with your hot cup of cocoa all snuggled up and warm and look out at the beautifulness of nature....two reasons we can't, one, it's always cold in here and two, there are sheets of ice on the insides of the windows so we can't see outside.
58. Did I mention the mice? 4 have been evicted I can only imagine how many more we have to go. r
59. We are busting at the seems, we have officially run out of any storage place we have and it's not that we have a lot of stuff, we don't, in fact we got rid of a lot of stuff but we have very little storage to begin with, tack on all the boys things being in storage (and babies have a lot of things) we have things from in our families that we want to use but no where to put them so they are in storage for the time being. We can't store our food anywhere other then the kitchen top cupboards or the mice get to them and we only have two top kitchen cupboards. We have cans upon cans of stuff in the storage room now that we can't even get too. Not that we were going to, but we have no place to put a Christmas tree. I wanted to put up a craft table so we could actually eat together at the dinning room table but we'd have to move our spare bed somewhere and well, there is no where to move it other then where it is now and stuff is being stored under it anyways.
60. The cracks in the walls seem to get bigger and let more cold air in....and spiders...ewww
61. Our kitchen light will not work anymore, it has gone through 3 bulbs. Every time we turn on the light, it goes out, keep in mind we can ONLY use the ones they no longer make so it is hard to find them!
62. I had a horrible headache today and feel like crap but we HAD to go out and do laundry. Again, not the best place to be when not feeling well add on top, some of the parenting skills I see there break my heart. I just want to slap or punch some sense into them.
63. Bubble Baths...I, like any sane person, LOVE taking baths. There is something so peaceful about being in a hot tub of warm water on a cold winter night. Even sometimes in the summer it just fits my mood. There are two reasons why I cannot really enjoy bubble baths at our current location. 1. If one of the cats decides they need to poop, my peaceful wonderful smelling bath is ruined. I don't last much longer when it smells like fresh cat poop. When the heat is on it makes it even worse. 2. Our bathtub creaks when I'm in it and I am so terrified I will end up in my neighbours kitchen one of these days. I ended it early tonight for both reasons.
64. Milo on the rare occasion (maybe twice a year of we're lucky) has a habit of peeing on a bed. This is why our beds have waterproof covers on them, not for us or our guests but for Milo so he doesn't ruin the mattress. If he happens to pee and for anyone who has cats you know how bad it smells and how immediately you must wash it but when you live in an apartment with no washer what are you to do? Fill the bathtub (the same one I am afraid to fill all the time because it may go through the floor) and stomp on it old school. Let it soak over night because there is no way we can go to the laundry mat at 11pm and no matter what you are doing the next day has to be postponed because you HAVE to go to the laundry mat, there is no choice in that matter, even if you were there only two days ago.
65. Its annoying to have to wash dishes before we use them and then again afterwords (thanks to the mice)
66. Our front door froze shut the other day and we couldn't get out until it melted a bit.
I could go on with this list forever but until we find a better opportunity we will make the best of it. We have to, we don't have another option. But now toyu al